Monday, September 10, 2012

It's September and I need to Crack the Whip!

As you may have noticed, I'm not going in any order. I save every Taste section but I may not have time to make what's published or I have ingredients for another recipe. Over the year, I have had a lot of fun working on this project but it's somewhat stressful and I need to dedicate more time so I can get currant (purposefully misspelled).

May 24th had Congo Bars. I just had to try them! They sounded like 7-Layer Bars that I used to make in High School but they were much better. I made them for a Wedding Shower my Sister-in-law and I held for a Niece. I don't have a picture of the bars because they went so fast but the flowers were gorgeous.



The May 31st edition had lots of salad dressings that looked very easy. I made the Weeknight Caesar, Garlic Herb Vinaigrette and the Honey Dijon. Very easy too - why buy dressing in a bottle! The Green Goddess that I blogged about before was delish!

The Seared Ginger Balsamic Salmon with Hot and Sour Slaw was a challenge for a foodie-want-to-be like me. It was delicious and now that I'm looking at it, I'll have to make this again.



Another recipe from April was the Barley and Asparagus Risotto. This wasn't as flavorful as the salmon and needed something extra to make me want to make this again.

Working even a bit further backwards, I tried the Shepherd's Pie in March. This was not my favorite either. It was too watery. I would like to try this again because it seems like a great winter recipe. My attempt just didn't do it for us.

Molasses Chicken from the March 8 Taste Section was outstanding. I realize I need to start adding recipes to my blog so you can understand why I am salivating on the keys. The recipe calls for legs thighs and wings. You wash the pieces and then rub them with crushed garlic. You then combine  ground allspice, vinegar, blackstrap molasses and mustard which you mix and brush on to the chicken. You then roast for 40 minutes at 400, basting with the molasses mixture periodically. Yum!



OK, June 7 had a Hickory-Barbecued Chicken recipe that I noted we made on July 4th. And again on the 10th, 22, and August 3. We just loved the rub and the hickory flavor from the chips you add to the coals. The actual barbecue sauce you make to baste with at the end (and serve with additional sauce) is a very simple concoction of ketchup, cider vinegar, light brown sugar, dijon mustard and hot pepper sauce. You cook this down a bit before taking part of it to baste, leaving the rest to serve with. My husband keeps going back to my files to find the recipe and yet we've never taken a picture. I guess it's the smell and taste since otherwise it's just barbecued chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment